Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Day in South Nias

If you're interested in vernacular architecture, this settlement in Southern Nias is something you can't miss out. Located in Bawomataluo village, all the heritages are still there. Big old wood house, megaliths, traditions, and off course, the way of life will make you imagine living in stone age. The people of Nias refer to their island as 'tano niha' or 'land of mankind'.

Nias is well-known for its beach as well. If you are surfer freak, go to Teluk Dalam Beach. You will discover a paradise (you may read this as great wave and other surfer freaks like you). If you like to travel as backpacker, you can reach the island by ship. There is regular -once a week- ship from Jakarta to Nias, which will take you 2 days 2 nights to reach the island.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi mate, my friend once told me the waves around nias island. he said it was something you would miss so. so challenging. is it true? i'm surfer, but not as freak as my friend, but i'm so curious to know about the beach. what is its name? how can i reach the beach from, say, bali?

cheers, Jona

November 13, 2007 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger prabhamwulung said...

Hi Jonathan,
I'm not a surfer either, but I'm so sure that Teluk Dalam beach is hidden paradise for surfers.
It is located in southern part of the island while the biggest city of the island, Gunung Sitoli, located in northern one. Teluk Dalam beach is more less 80 km from Gunung Sitoli, but the road to southern part is hell.

I don't know if there is straight flight from bali to medan (you may reach medan easily from jakarta or kuala lumpur), but from medan (or maybe padang) there is flight (with small plane) to gunung sitoli.

there was weekly ship with route jakarta- padang- sibolga-gunung sitoli but I'm not sure now. It should be still exist but I don't know the schedule. I used this ship (called Lambelu. It is PELNI ship) when I visited this island in 2001. In this huge ship, I met many surfers with purpose of visiting the Teluk Dalam Beach.
They are freak surfers like your friend, I guess.

November 13, 2007 at 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home